- Short fiction (including work written from patron prompts!), both WIPs and (eventually) completed work.
- Scenes and chapters from novels-in-progress.
- Personal tales from Stories from a Perilous Youth, the memoir of how I survived ridiculous events I had no reason to, and what I learned from all that.
- My YA science fiction series, The Galactic Adventures of Jack and Stella – the first book of which is nearly complete! I’ll be looking for patron feedback.
- In-depth writing advice from my decades of teaching writing workshops and taking them with the most brilliant minds in the field.
- Spacey astrophotos, cute animal pics, and other photos.
- Maybe even some videos, if there’s call for it.
- And more. See below for what I've posted so far.
Oh, and I’ll start each month by asking subscribers to provide input, if you want. Not only will that help me develop my work - I love brainstorming and hearing constructive feedback (even if it takes letting go to fully embrace criticism, a skill which all creatives would do well to learn) - it’ll also help make my work more the kind of thing you want to see.
I’ll always try to remember to post links here so you can come read stuff and interact if you want! I don’t want to stop doing the “give it away free and rely on the honesty of readers to give me back what they feel it’s worth, and they can afford” model that I’ve been doing and want to do more of.
But my virtual community is where my heart belongs! You won’t lose me to Patreon like some who started theirs and left their social networks. In fact, if you subscribe or become a Patron, you’ll get even more of my stuff. If you want.
I'm making everything I contractually can publicly viewable, so my Patrons are patron of the arts for everyone who wants to see my stuff. Here's everything I've posted so far, from oldest to newest, fully illustrated:
- Hello, world! (aka what you'll see on my Patreon)
- Science, Technology, & Society Thursday: Space Exploration!
- Fiction Friday: "Ashes of Exploding Suns, Monuments to Dust" (my AnLab Award finalist novelette)
- Happy Eleventh of March! (fandom stuff)
- Astro Tuesday: A few of my favorite things (some of my recent astrophotography)
- Writing Workshop Wednesday: Getting Started Writing
- STS Thursday: The science-fiction perspective. Thinking outside the box. New dimensions. What is SF?
- What do you want to see first? (a readers' poll)
- Fiction Friday: "Jupiter Whispers" (another published work, first in a series of stories that'll one day add up to a novel)
- Tumblr last week (links to the curated tags where I contributed something)
- When I was this unstylish boy, my first love was the sky (memoir-ey stuff about my earliest astrophotography)
- Work-school-writing life balance: Writing Workshop Wednesday
Here’s what’s new on my Patreon since I originally posted this:
- STS Thursday: Robots & AI
- "Orpheus' Engines" (story #2 in the Jupiter series)
- Ad Astra Road Trip 1 (first installment of the first book of The Galactic Adventures of Jack & Stella)
- Astro Tuesday: a collection of pretty
- Master the Rules (then break as needed): Writing Workshop Wednesday